Sept 2012 NSLC and partner Historic Deutschtown Development Corporation receive one of 8 Fresh Paint Days grants from Home Depot and give a makeover to the historic Beckert Building at 502 East Ohio St.
Aug 2012 Historic façade` restoration of 431-433 East Ohio St begins. Workmen discover leaded glass transom windows, boarded over and forgotten for decades!
July 2012 Brightwood Civic Group kicks off the renovation of 1320 and 1324 Woodland Avenue and immediately find a homebuyer for one house.
June 2012 The first annual Northside Sandwich Week is a rousing success with 10 local restaurants competing for the title of Northside Sandwich King (or Queen)! Bistro to Go wins with its Smokey Grill.
May 2012 Pipitone Group and Allegheny Elks Lodge partner with NSLC to clean and landscape the 23rd Ward Veterans Monument, the first in a multi-year initiative to protect and restore Northside monuments.
Mar 2012 First Niagara and First National both announce funding commitments to NSLC under the PA Neighborhood Partnership Program. First Niagara commits $300,000 over 6 years to NSLC’s Real Estate Development Program and First National commits $300,000 over 6 years to NSLC’S Business District revitalization efforts.
Aug 2011 Pittsburgh Public Schools announces its Facilities Reorganization Plan, adopting key recommendations of the NSLC Education Committee to establish a K-8 program in Brighton Heights and to retain Manchester Elementary School.
June 2011 Construction begins on the first house (1407 Woodland) in Brightwood’s Housing Development Strategy. Brightwood Civic Group also acquires 4 more properties for development in the Woodland Ave corridor.
Mar 2011 NSLC and Rivers Casino announce the first 11 neighborhood projects funded by the Rivers Casino grant. Projects include 40 housing units, 7 commercial buildings and several beautification projects.
Mar 2011 Following a year of work with the NSLC Education Committee, Propel Schools is approved by the Pittsburgh Public Schools Board as a charter school, the first location for Propel in Pittsburgh. The school opens in Aug 2011.
Sept 2010 The Allegheny Commons Initiative of NSLC breaks ground on Phase 1 of the Northeast Quadrant Restoration. This phase will re-make the paths, lighting and infrastructure for the section of the East Commons that is home to the Farmer’s Market, Pumpkinfest, Celebration in the Park and other community festivals.
June 2010 NSLC acquires the 55,000sf Brewery Buildings in East Deutschtown and helps founder Tom Pastorius and a new group of investors restart Penn Brewery, Pittsburgh’s only production brewery. The project restores 40 jobs lost when the brewery closed a year earlier and preserves another 60 jobs in the small office tenants in the complex.
Jan 2010 NSLC forms the Northside Education Committee to provide a forum for community engagement on a comprehensive multi-neighborhood approach to Northside schools and education issues.
Jan 2010 NSLC releases the feasibility studies for the reconnection of the Allegheny Center Street Grid, undoing the urban renewal era alterations to the heart of Allegheny City. This project moved to engineering and design phase in 2011 with construction several years out.
Dec 2009 NSLC releases the feasibility studies for the conversion of the former St Nicholas Church on Rt 28, the site of the first Croatian Parish in the Americas, to the National Immigration Museum. The project later gains support from the Croatian Ambassador to the US and Pittsburgh’s preservation community.
2009 Huntington Bank makes a $300,000 committment under the PA Neighborhood Partnership Program to support NSLC Business Development efforts at the Northside Community Development Fund.
2009 The Pittsburgh Steelers make a $300,000 committment under the PA Neighborhood Partnership Program to support the Allegheny Commons Initiative.
2008 The Allegheny Corridor is designated by the Pittsburgh Partnership for Neighborhood Development (PPND) as one of 3 strategic multi-neighborhood corridors in the city and then receives the program's first-ever grant.
2008 NSLC hosts 25th Annual Dinner and reaches over $100,000 in scholarships awarded to Northside students.
2008 Fifth/Third Bank purchases $2 million in New Markets Tax Credits as Northside Community Development Fund's (NSCDF) asset base grows past $5 million.
2007 All three entities (NSLC, NSCDF, and the Northside Chronicle) adopt newly revised business plans, setting a clear five year course.
2007 The pilot phase of the Allegheny Commons Restoration is completed at Cedar Avenue and East Ohio Street.
2006 NSLC strikes an agreement with Majestic Star Casino to protect Northside community interests. Commitments include a hiring preference for low income residents and $3 million in development funds.
2005 NSCDF assumes ownership of the Northside Chronicle.
2005 NSCDF becomes the smallest organization in the United States awarded New Markets Tax Credits.
2005 NSLC joins a unique partnership with arts and culture groups to restore the historic New Hazlett Theater. These renovations were completed in 2006.
2000 NSCDF created and later certified as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI).
1991 Housing Development Program created to assist member groups.
1989 NSLC and Allegheny General Hospital create Pittsburgh's first partnership between a CDC and a major health provider.
1986 NSLC adds the Neighborhood Employment Center to assist residents in attaining living wage jobs.
1985 Northside Chronicle begins publication.
1980 NSLC organized as a coalition of Northside neighborhood organizations to coordinate multi-neighborhood advocacy efforts.